Monday, June 2, 2008

Willis Creek - Broken Bridge Farm




My grandparents bought seven acres of land over 30 years ago in SO OR on Willis Creek Road. The property was known to all of us as just Willis Creek. My Uncle Mike acquired this property about 10 years ago and renamed it Broken Bridge Farm. I am hoping in the future to use it as a commune for the tormented Gays, as a retreat, you know? The Purveyors throughout the years have been my Aunt Toni and her partners, Mike and Family, Lisa and Robert Holt and back again to Mike. This is the land where I learned: to drive, shoot a gun (yes, a gun, I was actually a good shot), ride a horse (Ancara) bareback I must say, and to garden tomatoes and many more veggies. Short story: this is also where I learned to use a lawn mower, one of those self propelled mowers that pulled me along as if it was driving itself. Well I mowed over one of the recently planted evergreen trees (if you look at the one handed photo of me you can see the mature trees in the background). Grandpa Lou flipped out (first time I saw him angry), which caused Grandma Ann to come rescue me from the wrath while I was crying down at the barn. In hindsight it was a lesson well learned, as I now know how much that trees cost. I instantly learned how to control the mower. A few weeks later they bought a riding lawn-mower, which was good. Anyway, Mike still lives down here and there are still a lot of broken bridges. I took the weekend off from work to visit family. And my boss Kim allowed me one more day, which I appreciate. So I am writing this on a Monday.

I am actually camping down here to have a place to stay while I am visiting my 2nd cousin. You read about Laylee (which Grandma “Aunt” Debra is calling her) in the blog below. Re: My first retraction: Lisa Piccolotti’s new last name is Holt due to her marriage to Robert Holt, who is a great guy, he reminds me of my dad in a lot of ways. Don’t you all think she should keep the name Piccolotti? I think so, although this may be the feminist coming out in me.

The fascination and passion for this place has been rekindled for me. I have learned another lesson all these years later: We must all be conserving water and other necessities, as I am hauling water to the toilet in the house and filled the water tank in the trailer twice. Think about how much water you use. It is taking me one 5 gallon bucket to fill the tank. Oh and also, kill your television. There is no telly or cell phone service down here, which has actually made the weekend quite peaceful although I am missing NPR. I've been listening to SAM. . . one of those nation wide radio broadcasts of pop music. Horrible morning show!! Much love to you all.

No comments: