Saturday, May 10, 2008

Oregon Shakespeare Festival - Ashland, OR



Hey Theatre Lovers,

I just spent 1.5 days in Ashland and saw three plays with Jim and his Lincoln High School students. For those of you I know will probably be in Ashland sometime this season for the festival I thought I'd give you my recommendations.

If you are able to stay at the Ashland Springs Hotel, I'd say do it. This is a restored hotel in the heart of Ashland and is lovely. My friend Marcia I know would appreciate it as it is full of floral and bird art. Very well done. Although I wouldn't recommend staying the day before or of Hillary Clinton's arrival, I had a bit of parking stress this morning. The staff is super friendly!

We actually didn't see any of Shakespeare's plays, but being this was an educational trip we got some special treatment with a tour of the scene shop, prologue to The Clay Cart and a Q&A with one of the leads of the Hedda Gabler Play.

I highly recommend The Clay Cart, which is an Indian Sanskrit play, they are in full costume, costumed by what we were told a premier costume designer in the US. This is truly a comedy which is 2000 years old. I also HIGHLY recommend The Further Adventures of Hedda Gabler. Not what I expected at all. For you theatre buffs you will thoroughly be entertained as there are many theatrical references and characters. BRILLIANT!! New script written by Jeff Whitty who wrote the book for Avenue Q. Don't miss it.

Finally, Fences. Depressing and I thought slow. Act Two was better. Well acted, naturally. To be fair it was the only play that got a full standing ovation.

With all that, I am totally ready and wanting to see more. So I am willing to be someones companion or third wheel.

I forget that we have this wonderful jewel in Oregon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sean, I will go sometime. Aunt Kathy